Who's helped out with info for this site in alphabetical order.
All information on this site is posted in
good faith. The photographs and articles are copyright of the respective
owner and permission for use has been sought wherever possible. Some items
sent in by visitors to the site are unidentifiable and may therefore have
been posted without the owner's permission. If you believe that any of the
items infringe your copyright, please contact the webmaster with full
details and it will be rectified immediately.
This site and its content, with the
exception of those items mentioned above, are copyright Jaybee 2003-2005. If
you wish to use any of the content, please contact the webmaster. No
reasonable request will be refused. If your site has direct relevance to
the California Ballroom, please request a reciprocal link.
- Malcolm Baggott
- Backing singer with the Fantastics who
contributed memories of their gig at the Cali. Mal, I've got the correct
- Bedfordshire County Life Magazine
- For allowing me to use an article from a back issue and for offering (which
was gratefully accepted) to place a press release in the Autumn 2003
- Roger Bown
- For photographs of people, jocks and Kool & the Gang
- Merv Bright
- For sending through recordings of Louie Martin's radio shows
- Dave Cook
- AKA Carl Edwardes. For so much info I couldn't list it all here.
- Mal Cook
- Mal has close connections with the music industry and with many of the
artistes from the sixties in particular. If I listed the bands he's
worked with on here I'd end up with a page as long as some of the gig
lists. He has provided me with a vast amount of information,
photographs, contact info and anecdotes. He is currently writing a book
about his memories of being on the road with many bands and singers
(amongst other things).
When it is released I'll post the information on here
- Mick Clarke
- Currently with his own band and previously,
Killing Floor who played the California ten times in '68 and '69, Mick
has come up with some really interesting info on the Howlin' Wolf gig that
never happened and supplied me with dates and other stuff. He has very
kindly allowed me to borrow (swipe) images from his web site
Killing floor have recently got back together and recorded their
first album in 32 years.
- Duncan of DJD Promotions
- Duncan sent through loads of info and it appears, has a lot more. DJD Soul
Promotions run music nights around the area and specialise in
Soul/Jazz/Funk/Tamla nights. Check out the Events page to see what's on.
- Dunstable Gazette and Luton News
- Spent many happy hours hunting through old papers and fiches pulling out the
goldmine of information that's hidden inside. I've also been given loads
of cuttings from both of these papers that people have held onto for 20
- 30 years. On contacting the Gazette to get their permission to use
cuttings and quotes on this site, I was rewarded with an interview that
appeared in the paper in August 2003. That interview has led to loads of
really useful contacts. Thank you.
- Peter Farley
- Who is trying to contact Little Dennis
- Paddy Grady
- Author, (he's written a book), columnist for Blues and Soul Magazine, DJ and
the man behind Northern Soul Radio who is racking his
brains for gigs and also did us a review in Blues and Soul.
Oh and did I mention he's
written a book? Called That Beating Rhythm. New book in progress. Can be
ordered from his website.
- Pauline Harden
- Pauline was Mick Ilka's partner and was with him when he died in 1993. She very
kindly lent us his gig diaries from 1978-80 and the photo of him in his
- Lilian Kyle
- Lilian was Edwin Starr's manager and friend for many years. She has very kindly
allowed me to reproduce information about him on this site. Edwin was an
incredible performer and an amazing man. His loss must affect her
deeply. My thoughts and best wishes are with you Lilian.
- Alan L
- Alan has contacted me with a huge list of dates and some cuttings. He has
also pointed me in the direction of some useful Band contacts.
- Martin Lacey
- who has contributed memories and possibly his
wife's Olympic Runners bag. (Does she know?)
- Noel Lawrence
- Guitarist with Johnny Mike and The Shades who has
contributed band and tour information
- Gerard Lynch
- who tipped me off about a request on Sounds of the Sixties relating to the Cali and
the bands enabling me to contact another useful source.
- Jackie Marsh
- Gave us info on the Roller Discos and a TV segment for Anglia
- Louie Martin
- AKA DJ Brother Louie who contributed loads of old photos to the site
- Steve Matthews
- Who worked behind the bar in the sixties and has a wealth of info to provide on the
- Danny McGarry
- Friend of Mick Ilka who has come forward with memories and some truly inspiring photos!
- Rob McNally and crew
- Ex Cali-ites who........ let's just say, harbour more than just memories. Thanks guys.
- Denis O'Donaghue
- Journalist with the Gazette in the old days and now with the Times, who gave us contact
details for guys who worked at the Cali in the 60's.
- Graham Osborne
- AKA DJ Graham Bonney who is, as we speak, wading his way through mountains
of old newspapers digging out gig dates and Bruce Benson columns
- Patrick at RSD
- Who put us on to Peter Farley who worked with the company at the Cali in 1978
- Kevin Plunkett
- Ex pot boy, cloakroom hand, barman, pool painter and general dogsbody who
contributed some really useful memories including a Jimi Hendrix
- Mick Rutter
- Mick was the
general manager off the California from 1977 until it closed in 1979. He
built the venue back up to a going concern and he also started the
demolition when the end came. He has given us a large amount of
information and photographs as well as memories. He now runs a superb
pub in Ledburn near Leighton Buzzard called the Hare & Hounds. Go
visit. The food is great!
- contacted me as a result of the article in the Dunstable Gazette. She
has been a diamond. Through her we have been able to get in touch with
loads of people, resulting in valuable information coming in.
Confirmation of the Wailers appearance and the girl who organised the
sit down protest in front of the bulldozers being just two examples.
- Janice Schaub
- Lives overseas but still has her collection of early photos and memories
which she has kindly donated to this site.
- Alan Taylor
- Web Author/DJ/Radio presenter thanks for letting me use the Edwin tribute.
- Bruce Turvey
- Bruce photographed the California many times over a 25year period. His book,
25 years of Dunstable 1952-1977 has some fascinating studies of the Cali
in it's heyday. No photographs from this book are
included on this web site. If you want to see them you'll have to buy
it. If you want a copy you can get it through the
Castle in Dunstable
- Richard Walden
- Richard is researching for a book on the Queensway Hall and gives us information on
the California as and when he finds it.
- Ray Webster
- A contact I made through Friends Reunited. A big fan of Soul music but hailing from
up North, he had never heard of the Cali. He has searched through his
mountain of old Blues & Soul Magazines to dig out anything he can
find that might be useful. What a star!
- Robert Wright
- AKA DJ Robbie St James who single-handedly accounts for 50% of the visits to
the site from the USA, contributes gig dates he finds on his way round
the internet and refuses to send in old photos of himself
plus, the myriad of others who have supplied memories and photographs. They are noted on the various pages where they have contributed.
A huge thank you to all of you.
Thieves, vagabonds and footpads
I'm building a list of who's got what. Not so that
we can have them sued but because it's fascinating to find out. I'm
keeping it as anonymous as possible so that any avid collectors out
there don't pay the owners visit in the middle of the night. (Unlike
this lot obviously did at the Cali!)
It never fails to amaze me what's out there and
WHY? There are some really odd people around.....God Bless 'em!
Interesting that several seem to be called ROB!
Come on then............. who's got the front
- Rob M
The way out sign from the Car Park.
Knife, fork and spoon with the Didoz name on
A lampshade from Didoz
- Mike R
The Mirror Ball
The masks from the Devil's Den, all 8.
Mirrors from the pillars and walls of Didoz
A speaker from Didoz
- Rob F
- Didoz sign
- Rob B
- The decks!
- Dave B
- Loads of California posters advertising various bands
- Pete B
- the sign from the Hillside bar
- Rob P
- The large California sign from the side of the building
- The California Ballroom sign (external green and white)